Apr 26, 2011

Ridgway dry at last; 4-wire Loconet?

Well, the last repair to the water supply line about Ridgway seemed to have worked, when I replaced the entire hose on the dishwasher input line.  This had been leaking at the connection in the basement, and no amount of tightening, thread sealant, or washers was working.  So - the new hose worked fine.

Except - the attachment at the other end (behind the dishwasher, upstairs) then stared leaking a day after I finished the work.  So that came off, more sealant, much tighter fastening, and it seems ok now.  I even replaced the drop ceiling tile that's about the yard.

So, on to other things, perhaps?  I haven't had a chance to return to updating Denver library photo links on the website (soon, probably), but I did start wiring the LocoNet for the new Digitrax system.  After a bit of research, I think I can use some of the thru-the-ceiling runs of my old control network for the LocoNet.  The old cabling is a 4-wire 2-twisted-pair cable, w/ the pairs individually shielded and then the overall cable wrapped in another mesh shield.  And LocoNet can be dropped to only 4-wires I guess (combining pins 2-5 and 3-4), so I'm going to try that for most of the control runs.

The run between the two boosters I'll keep to a normal 6-wire flat cable, just to be sure.

Another thought, is whether to tie the grounds on the booster together w/ the ground terminal, and drop pins 2-5 in the LocoNet cable.  I'm not sure if I need to do that - anybody know?